Keep all your data secure
Your data security and privacy—our priority
Make sure your security is up to standard
Worried about accidental data leaks and potential fines and other unwanted effects on your business? Audits, regulatory compliance and securing personal information are key to any business today.
M-Files provides enterprise-level security to guarantee the security and privacy of your documents and data. You can rest assured that we do our best to help you safeguard the security and privacy of your, or your customers’ data.
Pillars of Access
We believe that data must be accessible by those who are granted access, and only by those with granted access. At all times, with no exceptions.
What our customers are saying on TrustRadius
Security features for more control
Human error is often the reason for security breaches and accidental leaks. To combat this, you need to have safeguards in the system itself to prevent such incidents – and this is exactly what M-Files provides. Proper information management practices are an essential part of your overall data security and integrity. They let you take control of your company’s and your customers’ data.
Our certifications and compliances
You don’t have to take our word about keeping your data secure and private. We have numerous 3rd party certifications to prove it. And we are compliant with major industry regulations.
Comply with key regulations
Manzil Healthcare Services
"As well as usability and accessibility, compliance was also very important. M-Files software is compliant with JCIA and HIPAA standards."
Yasser Quraishy Executive Director of Digital Health and Innovation, Manzil Healthcare Services
Security technologies and frameworks
It is imperative that your data is fully protected whether it’s being transmitted over a network or at rest so that no one gains unauthorized access to your information.
- M-Files encrypts network communication between M-Files clients (M-Files Desktop, M-Files Web and M-Files Mobile) and M-Files Server via HTTPS, RPC, VPN or IPSec
- M-Files encrypts data at rest with the AES-256 algorithm (compliant with the FIPS 140-2 standard)
- M-Files supports database encryption via Microsoft SQL Server Transparent Data Encryption (TDE)
M-Files provides comprehensive data loss prevention mechanisms out-of-the-box:
- Lost devices ≠ lost data: We provide guidance to help you safeguard data on individual client devices. Since all data in M-Files is stored securely on the server or in the cloud, no data is lost if an employee loses a laptop or fails to return a device upon leaving the company.
- No file backup? No problem: Easily control which users can delete documents and data. Deleted files and data can be quickly undeleted by administrators without having to restore backup files.
- Backup: M-Files Cloud Vault users don’t have to worry about backing up their data – we take care of it and can even provide regular offsite copies for independent storage. For on-premises deployments, we provide best practices to maintain backups of your data.
For fast recovery in the event of hardware failure or other disasters, M-Files supports vault replication in additional geographic locations.
- In M-Files Cloud Vault, the data is replicated multiple times and automatic failover mechanisms are deployed to recover from hardware failures with no data loss or downtime.
Deploying strict password policies, such as password complexity and expiration rules is a great way to improve data security.
- You can further strengthen data security of the authentication process with federated authentication, multi-factor authentication, and pre-shared key authentication in M-Files.
- M-Files supports authentication via any OAuth 2.0 compatible Identity Provider (IdP).
M-Files cloud is managed by our professional Cloud Operations team 24/7.
M-Files is hosted in Microsoft Azure. Microsoft has several verifications in place to ensure the security of the Microsoft Azure Cloud. The Azure cloud offers several features to support security, such as:
- Scheduled back-ups
M-Files Mobile provides encrypted connections (HTTPS) for M-Files Server as well as AD integration, OAuth 2.0 support, and support for pre-shared key authentication. We support mobile device management software such as Mobile Iron and Blackberry Dynamics. You can force users to use a VPN connection, or M-Files to ask for a PIN code.
The availability of data the ability to minimize system downtime are critical to business. We use both our own methods as well as Microsoft’s to ensure high availability.
- M-Files leverages e.g. multi-server mode to create active/active clusters that help you plan for maintenance operations and minimize service interruptions. You can configure default servers for backup operations to ensure more capacity for end user tasks.
- M-Files Cloud Vault servers are hosted in Microsoft Azure datacenters. The network in these datacenters contains no single points of failure. Additionally, numerous technologies are used to proactively monitor latency and load in the network.
M-Files Server can be run on common virtualization platforms, such as Microsoft Hyper-V and VMWare vSphere Hypervisor.
- This allows you to leverage the high availability features of those platforms.
- Additionally, M-Files Cloud Vault servers automatically failover to the secondary instance if the primary instance fails.